Temperaments & Wound Strings

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:17:07 -0600

Here's a general interest question.

If you use an F-F temperament (probably most of us) as opposed to, say, =
the A-A small European, you run into many pianos with wound strings in =
your temperament.

I just tune them as if they were not, going for the same mid-piano 5ths =
and even-progressing 3rds, etc., as usual.

But then I tune this Winter & Co. spinet excuse-the-expression piano =
where five of the temperament notes are wound bichords and three of them =
are on the bass bridge.

I think I make a good temperament on this piano but just got to =
wondering how you much-experienced folks, both aural and ETD, handle =
this situation.  Comments please.

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. Would it make sense to learn and practice an A-A temperament just =
for such pianos? (Although in this case even A4 is a wound string!)