Moving Action Lines of Center

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:44:47 EST

In a message dated 1/18/2003 7:09:18 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> Subj: Moving Action Lines of Center
>  Date: 1/18/2003 7:09:18 AM Pacific Standard Time
>  From: <A HREF="mailto:mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com">mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com</A>
>  To: <A HREF="mailto:pianotech@ptg.org">pianotech@ptg.org</A>
>  Sent from the Internet
>

>     Terry

        In my limited experience of checking the "Magic line" at the knuckle
I've noticed that even on the best of actions the only time the knuckle gets
close to the line is at the very end of the key /action stoke.  (I think Ron
Overs action is the exception.) So maybe the parameter is , that the closer
the knucle is to the line the better. I  think the most advantage gained is
at the wippen heel/capstan contact point. When this convergence line is right
the action gets very  fluid. Or , as My colleague Bob Davis so succinctly put
it to me the other night is , that leverage is leverage.
   Meaning that primarily you can move two things to increase action
efficiency , reduce lead and increase hammer weight.  These two are the key
balance point relative to the capstan or the knuckle placement relative to
the centerpin.  Other than that the lines of convergence are where friction
can seriously be tamed , there by reducing the  need to add lead to overcome
it. Of course for me all this moving balance points and convergence lines
around still has to land me within  .390 ish dip and a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" blow
distance with a 1.5mm let-off.
   Somebody else jump in here and tell me something I might be missing.
      Dale Erwin