Two Capstans again

Sat, 18 Jan 2003 21:44:53 +0100

Overs Pianos wrote:

> >Ron Overs wrote:
> >
> >Another thing while I have your
> >ear Ron... In taking up and down weight measurements, it's almost always
> >apparent that the lower half of the hammer travel needs more weight
> >for DW (and
> >less for UW) then the upper half.
>
> This hasn't been our experience. As the jack/roller contact is
> further away from the line of centres at rest. As the key dip
> progresses the contact will move closer to the line of centres
> thereby reducing the difference between up/down weight. However, some
> actions do have problems with the angle of the balance pin relative
> to its balance pin hole. This is a common cause of increased down
> weight at the lower end of the key dip. A higher repetition lever
> tension will also give the player a feeling that the down weight is
> heavier at the bottom of the key stroke.

I think we are thinking opposites here... I read your reply as saying you
experience the same thing... tho I described it in terms of the lower half of
hammer travel, and you describe the lower half of key travel... also... my lower
half of hammer travel should be the upper half of key travel.... described in terms
of key travel I would have said that "at the begginning of the key stroke you need
more DW then at the end" in taking these measurements... yes ??

That being said.... this balance rail pin problem you mention... would that be if
the pin is angled back away from the key front a bit then ?

grin... btw  I thank you for the "he's nuts" compliment.  I strive very hard at
that you see...

Cheers

RicB

--