Moving Action Lines of Center

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:59:48 -0500

I'm having a difficult time imagining how to change the position of the knuckle/rep lever contact relative to the magic line.

I can see quite easily how to manipulate the wippen heel/capstan contact - taller or shorter heel, capstan up and down, and/or move capstan forward or back. Lots of easy opportunity to put that contact anywhere you want it.

I have a 1947 Baldwin action where the magic line passes through the knuckle just above its center with the key at rest. At full key depression the rep lever is almost up to the magic line.

A tiny knuckle would do it, but I have never seen one so small. I suppose you could move the wippen flange down (move rail?) somehow. But that's pretty weird.

Is there some easy thing I am overlooking?

Terry Farrell