Newbie Charles

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:59:59 EST

In a message dated 1/16/03 10:11:00 PM, Dpshans@aol.com writes:

<< breaking strings, snapping shanks when pulling an action, or getting ready
restring a piano by ordering ALL 88 tuning pins. >>

OK, don't jump on me for this, but I don't get it...  I have restrung the
bass sections of two pianos and I didn't replace the pins on either one.  One
piano was absolutely fine when I finished, but I regret not having replaced
the pins on the other one; pin torque was lower than I would have hoped for.
I CA'd it, then I ended up replacing about 6 or 7 pins with larger sized
ones.  If I had to do it over, I decided I would have replaced all the
pins...

So...tell me the joke here.

Tom S

P.S.
Just for the record, I always match string size exactly when replacing a
broken string and carry sizes 12 through 20 including half sizes.
Interestingly, I haven't broken one for about a year... I thought I was just
lucky, but the inclusion of breaking strings in a category that includes
snapping shanks when pulling an action...  Is string breaking a newbie
phenomenon only?  (Why would you so many of you carry string in all sizes
with you if this were true?)