Newbie Charles

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 21:22:52 -0500

At 4:37 PM -0800 1/16/03, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>Charles,
>I am dismayed at your basic attitude: "Now I have a clearer picture of what
>the 'norm' is, and where it's not appropriate to cut corners."!!!!!!! In my
>opinion, it is never appropriate to cut corners. Gadzooks man! Your
>reputation is all you've got, so make it the best not the "I'll just get by"
>sort. Where is your pride?
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Ya' know, Joe. If you can rant, I can be cynical. <g> While everyone
else was being helpful to Charles, I was thinking about the
idiot-savant gem from this babe's mouth. I mean, when was the last
time somebody ever put a size 16.5 where a size 14 would belong, or
visa versa for that matter? Few of us has first hand experience with
this and for those that do, the experience is such a distant past
memory as to be a rumor.

Here Charles is eager to test the idea again, and I think it
important for not just Charles but for all of us, that he reports to
us his success with doing all plain steel replacements from three
gages. So let's not stand in his way.

Then again, I believe that piano skills are not something you should
expect to learn from an internet mailing list. Real skills are taught
person to person. Check out any of the PTG regionals, whose web sites
have been announced here. Find your local PTG Chapter. Find a mentor.
Start with a correspondence course if you have to. This is a serious
business, not one to enter sideways.

End of Cynicism. I now defer to a kinder, gentler person.

At 9:40 AM -0500 11/11/02, Jon Page wrote:
>Seek the advise of a local piano technician. Get involved with the
>Piano Technicians Guild.
>
>All your questions will be answered.
>
>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis