Renner Back Action

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 07:39:45 -0500

Comments below.

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20
From: "David Andersen" <bigda@gte.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 7:43 PM
Subject: Re: Renner Back Action

> >I'm looking for two numbers. I need to zip (fast) out a rebuild =
proposal=20
> >on a 1973 Steinway L. Did the Teflon disease progress to the back =
actions?=20
> >I have never put in a new Renner Back Action. I know there was a good =

> >guide presented in recent Journal articles, which I will be =
reviewing.=20
> >What is the cost of the Renner Back Action? And about how many hours =
can=20
> >be anticipated by an experienced tech (not that that has anything to =
do=20
> >with me, but it is useful for calculating fees) to install the Renner =
Back=20
> >Action.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Terry Farrell
>=20
> Dude.....slow way, way, down.  Step away from the computer.  You are=20
> letting yourself in for the biggest,
> most nightmarish Murphy's experience you could ever imagine with this =
'73=20
> beast.  Email Steve Bellieu, my shop partner and a list member, about =
our=20
> '70's Steinway horror stories.  Talk to Dale Erwin.  You're biting off =

> way, way more than you can chew.

Can you state some general examples of the problems you have =
encountered?

>  And why are you doing this so fast? =20

They asked me more than a year ago for a proposal. I seem to never have =
time for these administrative tasks. I have been playing telephone tag =
with them about a tuning appointment for several days now. The secretary =
left a message yesterday and asked if I could tune the piano at 2 pm =
this Friday (I can) and to please bring the proposal with me. So I guess =
it is about time to do it. I have shop work booked up until next =
Christmas, but no outside work after that. So I need the work.

> Competing bids?=20

Not that I am aware of. But I suppose they may well check into that =
after they see my fees!

> You better add 30% of the total bid as an afterthought,=20
> or you'll get killed.  Familiar with change orders? YOU WILL BE AFTER=20
> THIS.

I am very familiar with change orders. I don't like them. I have been =
writing proposals for complex jobs for 20+ years. I can nearly always =
avoid a change order. I put enough in the estimate to cover most =
surprises.

> Slow down.=20

Can't!

> Get some help.

Boy, if I could find some good help, I would be all set! This list is =
certainly an asset.

> May God have mercy on your soul.

Thank you.=20

I'll bet, over the past three years since I have had my shop, I have =
spent half that time doing non-billable tasks. These would range from =
building the shop and fixtures itself, tools, tables, jigs, and you name =
it. I have no doubt that so many things I am getting involved in take me =
five times the amount of time that a more experienced tech would need. I =
have no fear of running into something that is going to take me a lot of =
time. I schedule my projects knowing that I'll run into all sorts of =
challenges. I'm in this for the long run. I don't want to turn away from =
something because it may not be as profitable as something else. I am =
finding that there is much works out there. I prefer to do the type of =
work that interests me and challenges me. If I run into a '70s Steinway =
backaction that is a real bugger and takes me 50 or more hours to do =
properly, then rather than getting 50 hours of pay, I get 50 hours of =
education. To spend 50 hour being educated would be a bonus for me. I =
don't loose either way. Of course, I may decide to avoid it next =
=20