A Bold Move

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 21:45:10 -0600

At 6:02 PM -0500 1/15/03, Jon Page wrote:
>I tuned the center three octaves and let her sample
>and she liked it. I tuned the rest of the piano...she loved it.  It
>is the sound she has been looking for, trying this tuner and that
>tuner.
>
>She liked the warmth it gave to the piano and the enhanced intonation.
>
>Driving home, I got to thinking; the 20th century gave us the
>dumbing-down of education and the toning-down of intonation.

I had a similar experience recently with not as nice a piano. It was
a P22 in the house of a man who was unhappy with the blandness and
'regularity' of his tuning,  I did a Valotti in the middle section
and his face just lit up, he was thrilled, as was I. My 2 cents on
the great temperament debate (flame suit at the ready) is that I find
the late 19th c well temperants too smooth. My background (longer ago
than I care to admit, now) is in harpsichord and fortepiano work
where meantones, Kirnberger and Werckmeisters are common, and it is
usual for harpsichordists to evolve their own variations of
temperaments to suit themselves and their music. I find that the
brightness of harpsichords really cries out for the clean meantone
thirds, and it is easy enough to retune to move your wolf around
between pieces (some early instruments even had split sharps to ease
the tuning, you could have both g# and ab on thesame note). However,
the modern piano is such a smooth, homogenized sound that the thirds
can be emphasized much more, I really think the earlier, crunchier
tunings can add a lot of flavor (like a good hot sauce). My piano
lived in Valotti for years and is now in Werckmeister III and the
kids like it even better. I guess my point is that we shouldnt be
afraid to try earlier schemes, they are easily tunable by ear, Owen
Jorgensens little yellow book of equal beating temperaments should be
still available, and this experience adds greatly to your own
perception of the sound of the instrument. In any case, playing with
temperaments is a lot of fun and should be treated as an ear opening
experience, a chance to listen to those same old chords in different
ways, not a doctrine to be attacked and defended, by either side.
Also, get out a gamelan record if you want to hear some interesting
scales, and these guys tune by shaping the metal and wood keys?
tines? whatever you call them on a xylophone type instrument, and do
so very exactly.

Cheers,
--
----Dave