Are we wasting our time?

SidewaysWell1713@aol.com SidewaysWell1713@aol.com
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 19:08:56 EST

In a message dated 1/15/03 4:12:36 PM Central Standard Time,
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca writes:

> I hear all the time, about people worrying about 1 or 2 cents, and
> these music students, can't even tell, when it is 10-30c out.
> I am not saying, we should lower our standards, but I am wondering, if
> it is worth it. After all, how long does it stay, exactly in tune.

No, John, you're not wasting your time.  What your question to these students
showed was that they get used to the way the piano sounds and don't notice it
gradually going out of tune.  They literally learn not to listen.  Their
minds and focus of attention are on learning the music, not about whether a
tuning is really good or not.  They probably wouldn't claim to be able to
make such a judgment anyway.

I have spoken to high caliber artists about this.  The only ones who are
really picky about the day to day use of pianos are the ones whose artistry
generates enough money to pay for daily tuning.  Everyone else does with
whatever is provided or what they can afford.

I suppose some technicians use what they believe to be the customer's
threshold of tolerance to just skimp by with service.  We all do it to a
certain extent when we decide what level of service is appropriate for an
ordinary tuning versus a concert tuning.

As you know, I have often been accused of unethical practices but the very
first thing which comes to my mind when I am confronted with that is the very
question you bring up.  I know what is considered "Standard Practice" and
that some people insist that only their idea of that be offered.  But I also
know of the very wide range of what really results from each individual's
attempt at doing what they think is right and I also know that none of it, no
matter how good, lasts for very long except under some exceptionally good
conditions.

In the end, John, none of us can do better than the Window Washer.  Would
that person not do a good job just because he knows that sooner or later,
most likely sooner, the perfect job which was done will be spoiled?  Of
course not.  Adhere to your own standards and try to keep them as high as you
can, that's what I say.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin