Are we wasting our time?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:12:00 -0400

Hi List,

Beware, this is tongue in cheek.

I am nearing the end of my "January tunings", at the Music School, in
a local University. (Small, 35 pianos)
Yesterday, I forgot to note the practise room, I had finished at, so I
went to the area, I thought I had finished. I knocked on the door, and
asked the student, "has that piano been tuned?", she said I don't
know. The same at the next room, a guy this time.
Now we are talking, of pianos, that are away, out of tune, they were
tuned last, in September, with the humidity, in the high 60's. The
humidity now is in the 20's. They were low, by 10-30c, depending on
which part of the scale.
I hear all the time, about people worrying about 1 or 2 cents, and
these music students, can't even tell, when it is 10-30c out.
I am not saying, we should lower our standards, but I am wondering, if
it is worth it. After all, how long does it stay, exactly in tune.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca