Extra Capstan

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:37:48 +0100

I suppose useing a spring, it is similiar but not quite. In this case the spring
couples the key stick to the whippen, whereas the assist spring does not. So I
suppose this would have some direct effect on the key ratio and thereby the
action ratio as a whole. How much is another question.

But if one was to use a second capstan instead, well you would have two key and
action ratios. You could contrive things such that the one closest to the balance
rail pin would be effective up to the point the drop screw contacts the whippens
upper lever, and the other take care of the rest of the stroke.

That would allow for a greater mechanical advantage through about 90 % of the key
stroke then otherwise. During the rest of the key stroke (through letoff and
drop) you would loose that extra advantage, but I doubt you'd miss it much. By
that time the job of moving the hammer upwards is pretty much done anyways.
Perhaps at very soft play you might even notice the changeover.

Course it be a pain in the arse to regulate the back capstan... grin.

RicB