da needles

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:46:46 -0000

>I agree with the "stingy" use of the needles.  I've had pianist say they
>would rather
>have too bright than dull.  They can deal with bright but dull is...well
>dull.
>
>David I.

Hi David.....HER concept of dull, maybe, but not dull.....quite a few
pianists---some pianists---don't really listen passionately to the
instrument, and can't pull or draw the sound out of pianos, so they need
an edge (to me a metallic clang at low volume) to feel comfortable.  I
literally can't listen to certain modern piano recordings:  way too edgy,
too "broken-glass" at low volume, and very, very ugly at high volume
unless it has to cut through an entire triple-forte orchestra.

Listen to the live recording of Lang Lang at Seiji Ozawa Hall at
Tanglewood----a beautifully voiced piano for live performance, but
certainly "duller," in your parlance, than most concert grands I've come
upon.
To me, what you call dull(perhaps) is classic piano tone---completely
clear, but mellow and throaty, golden and viscous at piano and mezzo; a
little snarl appears at forte, and a real edge of brilliance, of snarl,
of snap, appears at double forte---really, check this record out; Barbara
Pease Renner is a monster pianotech, and her husband Jack is a monster
recording engineer; the piano is miked and recorded in a full, natural,
very near-field way.....great spread and clarity: my current record to
use as a demo for what I consider to be great live piano sound.  In the
studio, you can go even darker; the sound begins to take on incredible
colors when all the bang is out of the hammers.........very
intimate-sounding.

Anyway....endless are the arguments of mages....  :----)

David A.