weird "threaded" tuning pin

Andrew and Diana Nolan Andyana@bigpond.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 22:49:12 +1100

I took one of these Broadwood uprights apart recently. Had a 1 1/2" oak =
pinblock with a 1/4" beech cross lamination capped by a veneer of maple =
and cardboard to fit a 3/8"cast plate which only covered the block. The =
hitchpin plates were very crudely made out of 1/4" iron screwed onto =
beech. There were agraffes on the pinblock but their function was only =
to space the strings as there were little brass wedges infront of them =
acting as the actual terminations. The pins had a good inch in the wood =
as well as the 3/8" in the iron. I think that it would have been quite =
feasible to drill out the screw thread in the plate and use modern style =
pins in this particular piano. But I cant say the same for the grands =
with the same system as their cast pinblock plate is thicker.
Andrew Nolan