Regulation bench bedding

Stephen Bellieu sbellieu@mindspring.com
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:23:34 -0800

Hey Keith,

I have lately been setting "no aftertouch" on a few notes in the piano =
with a weight that John Hartman has dubbed the "third hand".  Stack =
punchings on the frontrail pin of the key in question until it just lets =
off when this weight is very gently lowered onto it.  It might even =
letoff a second or two after you have completely released the weight.  =
When you get to the bench do whatever you have to to duplicate this =
feat,  tape shims to the front rail or glides or turn down glides or any =
combination.    I have some wood shims that taper down to nothing.  If =
needed they are inserted under the frontrail until the deed occurs and =
then marked and labeled (also mark frontrail).  Locate the action in the =
same place every time on your bench.( The height of letoff is =
unimportant in the piano and on the bench, you can set it in the piano =
if you want just don't change it after removing action until you have =
set up your bench )  You might need to clamp down the front rail at the =
two ends to get everything working,  then aftertouch set on the bench =
will be very close.  No need to measure anything.  My bench is flat =
marble,  not because I'm that anal (well actually I can be) but because =
I used to install the stuff.  You don't need a bench that flat.  Some =
actions need almost an eighth inch under the front rail to duplicate =
what is happening in the piano.  Steinway frames are stiff enough that =
they can be duplicated with three notes.  (Well the old ones anyway)  If =
you have more of a Yamaha style set a couple more notes.  Good Luck.

Steve Bellieu                  P.S.  For various reasons I like to set =
the glides properly before I take away the action and so I
                                              prefer not to mess with =
them too much on the bench.
  ----- Original Message -----=20