tuning the treble aurally

Steve Borgstrom orchman@attbi.com
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 21:17:29 -0600

another newbie question:

I can set an equal temperament quite well for a beginner and have no
trouble with the bass, tenor and low treble strings. But I have a
horrible time in the last octave, not with tuning the center string,
but with tuning the left and right strings to center. Such minute
movements of the lever!! Sometimes I even have to "chip" the strings
with a guitar pick I bring along to tell if I'm too high or too low.
erk!!

I know it is a matter of practice, 'cause I can do it, but it takes a
lot of time. Something that Ron Nossaman said really helped with my
speed of tuning the rest of the piano, he reminded me not to "listen
past the resolution of the particular piano". Words of wisdom, indeed,
because the very next piano I tuned was a well cared for grand that was
hovering around A 440 and just needed a normal fine tuning, not a 100
cent pitch raise like some of the lesser cared for pianos I had tuned
prior to this nice grand. Tuned it so it sounded great in an hour,
which I was really proud of. The lesser expensive verticals I tuned
AFTER that grand came together quite a bit quicker due to his advice!

So it's concept tips and tweaks and nuggets of knowledge like the above
that I am looking for in regards to the treble trouble I'm having.
Thanks folks!

Steve Borgstrom
Brooklyn Park, MN