86 key Steinway (1877)

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 2003 15:28:04 EST

This piano mover I know brings me pianos now and then and 9 out of 10 are
junk, but every now and then he brings me one that I can refurbish and sell.
Today he pulls this 48"vertical out of his truck, ornate case, 86 keys,
painted black so there's no name on the outside.  I open it up and find it's
old and beat up, but there's a sostenuto!  Each damper block has a little
wire sticking out of it's back that can be caught and held by a
(nonfunctioning at this point) sostenuto rod!  So I open up the kneeboard to
take a look at the bridges and right there on the plate, "Steinway & Sons,
New York" !!  Serial number puts its manufacturing date at 1877.

What an interesting find!  I didn't know Steinway ever made an 86 note piano!
 I can't wait to take this thing apart and play with it!

Anybody ever seen one of these?

Tom S