Charles R. Walter: was Janssen

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 07 Jan 2003 07:18:16 -0500

I service four Walters, two consoles and two studios.  I like them a lot,
and I understand that among those who know them they have a good
reputation.

Now about Janssens, my parents had an old upright Janssen.  It appears to
me that the original Janssens were also reasonably well-crafted, no
comparison to the cheap junk that was made later under the same name.  If
Mr. Janssen could see some of the instruments that exist with his name on
the fallboard, he would probably have a fit!

But that's what happens when names are bought and sold like property.  In
many cases the name alone tells you nothing about the original quality,
because at times the instruments were carefully built and at other times
not.  Sorta sad.

Regards,
Clyde