Clavichord tuning

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 18:30:16 -0600

At 8:49 PM -0600 1/5/03, Richard Moody wrote:
>My clavichord has come back from its 6 months trip to Holland, and
>I am wrestling with its Werckmeister II temperament.  Anyone has a
>clue as to why such a temperament on this particular instrument ?
>(in a clavichord, the temperament is determined by its
>construction : some strings will produce two different notes.
>Simply changing the tuning does not help...)
>
>Jean Debefve
>
>Doesn't the pitch change according to how hard you press down on
>the key?  So  how can any semblance of a temperament be
>uned?  ---rm

The pitch change or bebung is more akin to vibrato on a violin or
bending a guitar string. Tuning a clavichord well depends on a
consistent touch, and knowing how hard or soft the owner plays it.
They can be very well tuned if well built, and quite beautiful to
play and hear.
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT