1920s Steinway M Value

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 16:22:23 -0600

On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 03:38  PM, Avery Todd wrote:

> Isn't that the era with the Verdigris problem? Does that price include
> replacing
> all the action parts? If I'm correct, of course! :-)
>
> Avery

Some pianos with "green stuff" in the action parts have no problem at
all. As a matter of fact,
I have seen plenty of old Steinways with moderate "green stuff" that
have nice, firm pinning and tightness within normal ranges, wonderful.
Without the "green stuff" I'd wager those same actions would have "dry,
fly-away" centers with no friction at all, unplayable.

It's hard to maintain an opinion that is so completely at odds with the
prevailing view, but there it is: "Green stuff" ain't necessarily bad;
in fact, sometimes its downright great.

Kent Swafford