Touchweight Key Ratio Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 18:40:19 -0500

I am doing preliminary touchweight measurements on a 1902 Knabe grand. The capstans are angled back at a fairly steep angle (30+ degrees?). They are also tall, a good inch or so. When making key ratio weight measurements you are supposed to put a 10 gram weight around the capstan and measure. On many actions, the weight drops down to the key and is reasonably centered around the capstan contact point with the wippen. On this capstan, because of its steep angle and height, when the weight (three coils of hammer lead) is a fair bit towards the key front from the capstan top. I suspect I should be centering the weight on a perpendicular from the key directly below the capstan contact point. Is this correct? In this case, the weight center will have to move toward the key rear from where the capstan screws into the key. Thanks.

Whew. A lot to this piano stuff.

Terry Farrell