Big Action Rail Pins

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:01:00 -0500

Terry,
    I'm not sure if I missed someone else suggesting this, but pull the pins
and reinsert them upside down and you will have 'like new' surfaces at the
balance rail hole and bushing area, which are the only places it matters. If
you can pound them out from underneath, good, if not, you may have trouble
not damaging or nicking the pins somewhere, which would damage the balance
rail holes in the key eventually. My understanding is that a very reputable
rebuilder did this procedure out of necessity with success years ago when
.162 steinway pins were unavailable anywhere.
Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville PA

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 05, 2003 8:59 AM
Subject: Re: Big Action Rail Pins

> Hey, now there is an idea. What might one plate the pins with? And can you
recommend anyone that does this kind of work?

> On the center rail pins of an older piano, near the top of the pin where
the bushings would contact, one commonly will find an area that appears to
be "worn through" the plating or whatever. Is this in fact likely the
condition there? And if so, might it be the case that polishing will yield
inferior results because the core material exposed to the bushings is not as
hard as the plating?