Brass Action Rails

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 05 Jan 2003 09:42:05 -0600

>Perhaps the heavy use kept the metal malleable?
>
>Terry Farrell

And what about the next one that was also heavily used and cracked up
badly? No, I don't think so. Also, all of these speculations about how use
affects work hardening and how that causes the cracking don't fit field
observations. We don't know the composition or condition of the brass when
the rail was originally installed. Was it annealed? Was it already work
hardened? Was it already cracked? What was milled and drilled, and what was
stamped? Will annealing a rail that's not yet cracked keep it from
cracking? Not knowing what was there originally, it just isn't possible,
much less reasonable, to speculate on whether or not heavy use (or lack
thereof), or whether it was annealed before installation had anything at
all to do with what cracked and what didn't. There's just no information to
work with.

Those rails might very well last another 80 years with no problem. Or they
might not. This is no different than deciding whether to replace that
pinblock,or go with oversized pins - or lower the plate to get string
bearing without worrying too much about soundboard crown, or keep the old
wippens because they don't look that bad, or any other of the hundreds of
decisions we make about what is likely to be adequate and what possibly may
not be. Given the option, I'd prefer to replace the rails.

Ron N