Brass Action Rails

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 21:43:44 -0500

I am doing a complete rebuild of a 90 year old M&H upright. It is getting new board, new block, new action, new everything. It has brass action rails for the hammer butts. None have failed. I can only assume the brass is brittle, as I have seen so many of these brass rails fail. Is this a fair assumption?

Assuming I want to do something with the brass rails, is there anywhere besides Schaff that duplicates? I'm looking for best quality. What about converting to wooden flanges? Anyone care to share their experience doing this?

Any thoughts in general? Thanks.

Terry Farrell