Restored Baldwin out the door

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:55:50 EST

         List
         Tomorrow I'm delivering a 1920 pre-model R Baldwin. It's 5 ft. 8 " I
just thought some would enjoy a thought or two on this. This is the first
Baldwin I've had the opportunity to do a complete restoration on including
new belly and all. Although I'm not a big Baldwin fan I am very pleased with
the way this piano came out. Tonally it's very strong, and dark sounding with
excellent sustain characteristics. Very even scale note to note& no weak
spots or notes. This board had/has eleven ribs compared to a modern Rs 10
heavier built ribs. The original ribbing was really to light especially in
the bottom end. Like 15/16 mm deep on the first 3 or ribs. I beefed them up.
I use tight sugar pine thru out on a Sitka panel.
  I was shocked to think that Baldwin Designers had any idea that ribs that
thin would retain any kind of real crown for more than two weeks.
    Also this is the first delignit block I used and I'm so impressed I just
ordered another at less than half the price of a new Bolduc block. A very
uniform fit and smooth tuning block.
    The original board was half falling out and the "rebuilt" action played
like the proverbial truck. This was tolerated by a very nice Lady who teaches
piano on it for more than twenty years. Tomorrow she has a big surprise
coming.
     Regards Dale