Monkey tail broke???

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 23:00:47 EST

Tommy writes:

<< found the 'monkey spring was
off the monkey' and the sostenuto bar was engaged to the dampers. I had just
replaced the monkey spring a few minutes before because it came off when I
removed the action.  Question: What would cause the monkey spring to slide
off the monkey. All looked O.K. and working correctly. I've never had this
problem before. I did re-attatch the spring and all was well. But I still
wonder......will it slide off again!!! >>

Yes, it may, if you are not talking about the spring sliding off to one side
or the other, but rather, just coming out of its anchoring slot.  What is
probably happening here is that the monkey is high.  If it starts from too
high a position, (due to the hoop being bent at the bar, or perhaps not
mounted correctly), it will   lift the anchoring end of the spring out of the
cut in the monkey when the pitman pushes it up.  Then, will pop backwards,
losing the spring.
   Might also check the vertical alignment of the monkey and spring..
REgards,
  Ed Foote RPT