upright hammer bore

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 09:02:01 -0800

Michael, please make the subject line relate to the content. Not that =
anyone else does but as a newbie at least start that way.=20
You don't need to subtract. Just measure from the hammer center pin to =
the strings. You can't do that in a grand, the flanges are under the =
pinblock. I believe the bore angle is 3* shy of 90* instead of the 1* in =
a grand.
Somebody correct me please, and explain why the difference between a =
grand and upright. I get to give the technical on hammer boring at the =
next chapter meeting.
Keith R
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: michael campi=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, February 27, 2003 5:09 AM
  Subject: Re: Thin Epoxy

  Hi everyone, I'm a bit new to this thing so forgive me any errors in =
protocol. I am attempting to compile a comprehensive body of information =
on vertical actions and rebuilding. What I am looking for right now is =
any info on objectively determining the bore distance for upright =
hammers something along the lines of subtracting one measurement from =
another similar to what we do in grands by subtracting the height of the =
hammer flange center from string height. So if anyone out there has =
details on that sort of thing or any other vertical action geometry =
stuff I'd appreciate the input. Michael

  >From: "Delwin D Fandrich"=20
  >To: "Pianotech"=20
  >Subject: Re: Thin Epoxy=20
  >Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:49:58 -0800=20
  >=20
  >=20
  >----- Original Message -----=20
They are=20
  >out by Del. The topic of low viscosity epoxies has come up on the =
list=20
  >often.=20
  > >=20
  > > http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html=20
  > >=20
  > > A couple very interesting products:=20
  > >=20
  > > - CPEST (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer)=20
  > > - Tropical Hardwood Epoxy AdhesiveT=20
  > >=20
  > > The sealer is said to be of diesel fuel viscosity and penetrates =
into wood=20
  >way more than other epoxies (laminating bridge caps - your soundboard =

  >coating thing). They also claim that WestSystem is petroleum based =
and cures=20
  >brittle (I certainly agree that it is brittle).They say their epoxy =
is wood=20
  >based and cures flexible. I'm not sure exactly how that might =
benefit/effect=20
  >our work on pianos, but there it is (in a bridge cap, I don't see =
where it=20
  >would make much difference - brittle or flexible). The penetrating =
sealer=20
  >really gets my interest. Hmmm. Maybe we can laminate a thin strip of =
Kevlar=20