Offset bridge unisons; was Moving Damper Guide Rails

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 08:31:21 -0500

I tune two Steinway Ds from about 1900 with the same feature. There must be
at least 1/16, maybe 3/32 difference between the shortest and longest
speaking length of a unison. The bridge pins are almost parallel to the edge
of the bridge. At first I was sure they would be 'untunable', and though I'm
right, it's not that bad:-)  False beats are harder to deal with. Whether
the sound cuts through better, well, compared to what?  I measured
inharmonicity with my SAT, and of course the higher the partial you compare,
the bigger the discrepency. I forget the numbers offhand. I could check next
time I tune it.
Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville PA