Moving Damper Guide Rails

tune4u@earthlink.net tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 23:03:45 -0600

Horrors. Wouldn't "twist(ing) the agraffes a little ..." cause the strings
to have three different lengths? How are those unisons, a little whiny?

Alan Barnard
Salem, MO
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Christus4@aol.com
  Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 2:42 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Moving Damper Guide Rails

  List,

  Have a problem with a grand piano that regulating damper wires will not
cure.
  Finally observed that the guide rail is too far over to the right, and on
medium to hard blows the nearby strings are vibrating, i.e. zinging, against
neighboring damper wires.  It's obvious that this was seen at the factory,
but not properly corrected.  What they did was twist the agraffes a little
more clockwise to try and shift the left-most strings of the plain wire
unisons away from the wires - but it still didn't work on all of them.
  In speaking with the company's service tech, I learned that the piano is
out of warranty already, having been an "Estate" piano with only 90 day
warranty.  His suggestion, too, was to move the guide rail to proper
postition, and re-regulate the dampers.
  Since these pianos were offered to dealers at a discount, we have to hope
the local dealer will warrant the product now.  I think they will honor the
customer's purchase, but I need to offer them first an estimate.
  Anybody run across this yet, and take the time to effect the repair?
Using Newton Hunt's and Joe Garrett's guides to calculate, I can account for
some of the time needed for the work, but I'd like to get a little closer in
my estimate if possible, for the whole procedure.
  As always, 'ppreciate the help.

  Chuck C.