Thin Epoxy

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 22:54:39 -0500

I ran across this site and thought of Del and Ron N. and Ron O. They are out by Del. The topic of low viscosity epoxies has come up on the list often.

  http://www.rotdoctor.com/products/product.html

A couple very interesting products:

-    CPEST (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer)
-    Tropical Hardwood Epoxy AdhesiveT

The sealer is said to be of diesel fuel viscosity and penetrates into wood way more than other epoxies (laminating bridge caps - your soundboard coating thing). They also claim that WestSystem is petroleum based and cures brittle (I certainly agree that it is brittle).They say their epoxy is wood based and cures flexible. I'm not sure exactly how that might benefit/effect our work on pianos, but there it is (in a bridge cap, I don't see where it would make much difference - brittle or flexible). The penetrating sealer really gets my interest. Hmmm. Maybe we can laminate a thin strip of Kevlar into those bridge caps and use this penetrating sealer for the ultimate bridge cap - 'course it might be a bit of work to get a pin in it and to notch it.

Terry Farrell