Downshifting the work load!

Richard Oliver Snelson rsnelson@bwsys.net
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 16:38:24 -0600

Clyde, Here's how I do it. I do my tunings during the middle two weeks =
of the month. Next month I'm starting on the 10th. I book 3 calls a day, =
which is a nice load, and doesn't tire me out too badly. When that week =
is full I go ahead an fill the next week the same way. It's working =
nicely for me. I've started piano lessons again plus have started =
playing classical guitar (again) and mandolin so I don't get bored. At =
67 years old, it's fun to have the two free week to just sit and read, =
or go fishing etc, etc.=20

Of course a school or church might come along and need a bit of help =
during the off weeks, but that can be taken as sort of a break in the =
week. =20

I had planned to do shop rebuilding and refinishing on the off weeks, =
but the heck with that. I've sold a lot of my shop tools and will sell =
the rest of the piano related ones. I'm having too much =
fun..................

Richard
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 3:04 PM
  Subject: Re: Something to appreciate about our profession

  Dave,=20
  Something else I like about this occupation, if one is self-employed =
as most of us probably are, is that one doesn't have to go suddenly from =
a full-time job down to no work.  I am 56, and if I feel the need to =
"downshift," I can choose to work less.  Maybe 16 pianos per week rather =
than 20, then later on 13, 10, 5 or whatever as I enter the retirement =
years.=20

  But I haven't figured out how to gradually cut down the number of =
customers I've served these many years.  I guess I'll ask this list for =
that advice when I need it.  For now I just decide how many pianos I'm =
willing to do in a month, and the rest go on a waiting list or get =
referred to someone else.=20

  Regards,=20
  Clyde=20

  Piannaman@aol.com wrote:=20

    Listers,=20
    While attending the PTG Conference in San Ramon, CA,(my first =
conference) something stood out in my eyes.  At 50, I am still =
relatively young in this business.  Those who are older are not cast out =
like they are in so much of the high-tech industry in my neighborhood.  =
People with age and wisdom are venerated and treated with respect, =
appreciated for the knowledge they have and are willing and eager to =
share with those eager to learn.=20

    Nice to have work that doesn't give me the willies when I think =
about getting older!=20

    Thanks for all the wisdom available on this list on a daily basis,=20

    Dave Stahl