Something to appreciate about our profession

Christus4@aol.com Christus4@aol.com
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:40:21 EST

Dave, Wim, et al,

In regard to the flow of wisdom that being in the PTG and being on this list
offer:
I had the good fortune of meeting Fred Drasche today after I serviced the
piano at his retirement complex.  Although at 96 years old, frail and lonely
- especially now in the absence of his closest companion, Mimi, he was
grateful for the company, and offered a few "pearls" to me in the brief time
I was there.  With his many decades of service, teaching, etc., he told me to
remember to "never stop learning about the piano".  He related how that he
always learned the most when he had the opportunity to teach, at seminars,
institutes, and conferences.  He said to come back sometime if he can be of
any help with anything, even though he doesn't actively work on pianos
anymore.
Reminded me also of another venerable technician I sat beside for one of
Ernie Juhn's classes:  I asked him half-jokingly why at 75 years old and 50
years in the business he wasn't teaching the class, and he responded:  "Well,
there's so much to learn..."
I guess that's a good way to go through life too.  How humbling to hear these
"giants" regard their life's work, and still willing to give back.
In awe,
Chuck

P.S. Mr. Drasche's home is reverently appointed with many signs of his career
achievements, not the least of which is the Golden Hammer on the coffee
table.  But these are only outward recognition of the lasting effects he has
left on the trade.

Chuck Christus, RPT
Flagler Beach, FL
Palm Beach Chapter PTG