"Genesis Jig?"

Dave Davis davistunes@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 17:06:59 -0800 (PST)

Hi Dave,
I bought the Genesis Jig from Randy.  It works fine
and I'm not sorry I bought it. It's good to practice
on some "junk" keys, like out of a piano you're
throwing away, before working on a customer's keys,
there is a slight learning curve to making it work
well. The most efficient way that I've found is to set
it up, do all the A's, then the B's, C's, etc.

The fault I've found is that it should be a couple of
inches longer...in order to get enough of the keystick
routed for the new top, the end has to almost stick
out of the jig, making a precarious situation for the
router on the edge of the jig.

It's also designed to rout off the fronts, but the
guys I know who do keytops sand them off (sometimes in
flames) with a belt sander.

If you have a bunch of junk keys, you might try
building your own jig and experimenting to find
something cheaper that works as well.

Have fun!!

Dave Davis
Renton, WA