Stretch: What's it all about?

Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:21:19 +0100

You've run smack into one of the issues piano tuners just love to
debate... sometimes rather hotly. Myself I tend to aggree with Randy
more then I dont in this case.

In the end tho... because you are trying to come up with the "best"
match of a set of coincident partials that allow you only one pure pair
at a time, the whole thing is necessarilly a bit subjective in nature...
withing limits.... wishfully reasonable ones :)

The differing  OT's in Cyber ear can be used to assure a reasonable
stretch or misused to impose a stretch that artifically further
stretches or compresses the pianos natural inharmonicities as Randy
would see them.  Any ETD can be used to do either. And aural tuners do
the same thing regularly.

I always suggest new tuners who are at all interested in finding out
about piano inharmonicities to download a copy of Tunelab 97 and start
matching partials "manually" to build different kinds of stretchs into a
tuning. Then by comparing the phase display notes with coinicidents at
the frequency being looked at one can very methodically familiarize
oneself with how all the various octave types, fifth, and twelth types
progress throughout a tuning. When you know enough about how it all fits
together.... you can make up your own mind about the "stretch" question.

My View

RicB