Steinway Bashing........

JIMRPT@aol.com JIMRPT@aol.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 08:19:08 EST

In a message dated 24/02/03 4:36:56 AM, bigda@gte.net writes:

<< I love Steinways---AND, the American factory has produced some truly woeful
and f*%#ed up pianos in the last 50 years. I accept this paradox.

I only know what my ears tell me.  They are my final arbiter.  Some
Steinways are the best; there's no getting around it.

......David Andersen >>

David.... I think you have hit on the nexus of the thingee here. S&S 'can' be
soooo good that when we see a "run of the mill" S&S thingee we are truly
disappointed...on different levels. As technicians it is hard to not notice
where things 'could' be improved and it is frustrating to see them stay the
same through the years without change and improvement. We all have our own
ideas of what, and why, things can be improved and we don't always agree on
the details.  But when all the factors come together, by design or
providential accident, the results can be glorious.
 BTW  my favorite piano, bar none, was/is an A&B Chase (S&S knockoff) 7'
which  had a tonal presence/range and power that was superior to anything I
have ever heard from a piano before or since.
Jim Bryant (FL)