Pinblock Plugs, was: Nice Baldwin Pinblock

Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:34:31 -0600

At 07:11 2/24/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I have purchased plugs from Web Phillips in the past. They appear to be
>cut from multi-lam rotary cut supply house brand X pinblock material. Many
>of them fall apart. I don't think I want to use them again. I will make a
>quarter sawn pinblock, much like the Bolduc, but only epoxy assembled and
>with the upper 1/2" made up of quarter sawn 2 mm thick laminations with
>the grain running in the direction of string pull. After cutting plugs
>from it, I will then epoxy the plugs into slighly enlarged holes.
>
>Terry Farrell

I'm glad to see this discussion. Funny how timing works out sometimes.

Friday, I finally started seriously looking into my Krakauer grand and
discovered it has a stepped block.  Not only that, but it's construction is
like Steinway in that it is integral with rim and stretcher.  Not only
THAT, but the bottom of the block is below the front edge of the stretcher.
To allow for the fallboard, the block/stretcher is not champhered (like
some Baldwins I've done), but coved and finished.

I used Falconwood plugs ~15 years ago to do an 1889 Chickering 4-section
block and an 1876 Haines square - both of which are holding 440 quite
well.  This Krakauer looks like a good candidate for plugs and, with my
past successes, I had been thinking of falconwood.

What kind and where are there good quality plugs available? My plug cutters
only will handle about 3/4" material. That isn't enough, is it??? The
falconwood were 1 3/8"+.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

- People never grow up, they just learn how to act in public. -Bryan White