When words have no meaning

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 22:27:07 -0600

> I always love it when a word in a post sends me scrambling to
the
> on-line dictionary.  "fabliau"  great word.
>
> dave

And the meaning is....... ?

"A short metrical tale, usually comic, frankly coarse, and often
cynical, popular in the 12th and 13th centuries.

Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 5th ed 1936

"a short metrical tale of a type chiefly composed by jongleurs for
and about the lower classes; also: the genre of such metrical
tales being usu. comic, frankly coarse, and often cynical esp. in
their treatment of women"

 Webster's Third New International Dictionary

...and a jongleur is.... ?