Safety of cleaning dirty pianos

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:37:24 -0800 (PST)

The best thing to vacuum with would be a Rainbow,
which catches everything in a water bath in the
bottom. Not cheap. Regular filter bags are like the
Lincoln Tunnel to pathogens --- they go right through!
     I do not advocate spritzing up rodent infested
pianos. All you are doing is adding attachement for
the family to a biohazard, which they will then force
their kids to take lessons on! I don't need the money
that bad. Better the piano be burned!
    If they are really sentimentally attached, give
them the price for a full rebuild, including new keys.
If that's too much, suggest they gut the piano,
refinish the case and put in an electric keyboard.
That's more ethical than exposing them to danger. Much
is made of Hantavirus, but rodents carry other
diseases which can hospitalize you, if not perhaps
kill you, too!
    I had a bakery truck in which I would dismantle
stuff, way out in the backyard. It had a long ramp to
run out the back onto a platform, which allowed me to
roll the piano in and out for several days during the
dismantling/stripping process. Everything that was
brought into the shop was thereby very clean and ready
for felting/reassembly. And then I just drove the
filthy bread truck to the car wash and blasted it out!
    These old aluminum bread trucks are cheap. Better
than releasing all that dirt into your house or shop.
     Thump