Steinway rebuilding versus other makes.

antares@euronet.nl antares@euronet.nl
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 12:59:02 +0100

On zondag, feb 23, 2003, at 12:06 Europe/Amsterdam, Richard Brekne=20
wrote:

> =A0> Question; why do more Steinway's get rebuilt than any other =
piano?=A0=20
> Perhaps it's because they're so expensive that they can be looked on=20=

> as an investment. And why aren't there more people re-building, and I=20=

> mean soundboards and all; Yamaha's and Kawai's?=A0=A0 Because most =
people=20
> would just go buy a new one?=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 I think Joe Garrett said =
once=20
> something about the wood used in the rim made rebuilding one "less=20
> than desirable "=A0 Am I right?Just some musings.

It's all a matter of economics. A Steinway will (almost) always be a=20
glorious Steinway if you do a glorious rebuilding job and...afterwards=20=

will be much more valuable, whereas the 'others' who did not have the=20
same tonal qualities will also sound much better but will simply not=20
have the same value. A rebuilding job will then automatically be a=20
questionable issue or a compromise.
Recently, we (Grand Piano) did a number of 'questionable' rebuilding=20
jobs : two were  rather old (beginning 1900) Grotrian Steinweg=20
uprights, another one a beautiful concert upright with an (to most)=20
unknown name (VAN LIESHOUT).
The owners did not want to spend ALL the money needed to get them in=20
perfect order but we made a compromise moneywise and were able to make=20=

them beautiful nevertheless.
The Grotrians are now much more valuable and will fetch a very good=20
price on the market, the VAN LIESHOUT will sell for much less although=20=

it is actually a damned good piano.
The customers will not sell their beautiful uprights though. They are=20
so happy with them.

A. Oorebeek,
The Netherlands

see my website at : www.concertpianoservice.nl