Steinway bashing, cont.

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:26:59 -0700

    Ric, I have it on good authority that the tech's doing factory work =
in NY are expected to get two and a half actions regulated per day. No =
wonder they come to the dealerships needing a day and a half to two =
day's worth of work.  It's no problem for a tech who knows what he's =
doing, but we sometimes do complain, a bit.=20

    Question; why do more Steinway's get rebuilt than any other piano?  =
Perhaps it's because they're so expensive that they can be looked on as =
an investment. And why aren't there more people re-building, and I mean =
soundboards and all; Yamaha's and Kawai's?   Because most people would =
just go buy a new one?      I think Joe Garrett said once something =
about the wood used in the rim made rebuilding one "less than desirable =
"  Am I right?=20
Just some musings.  =20
Kevin E. Ramsey
  Well hey there Gordon.... I will be the first to admit I have sort of =
a love / hate affair with Petrof. I keep thinking what a downright =
beautifull instrument they could make if they would just stop being =
sloppy in some key areas. =20
  But if you start looking closely you find all kinds of interesting =
stuff....tho word has it they are improving and in general cleaning up =
their act quite a bit these past couple years.=20

  Actaully... it seems that much of the criticism I hear directed at NY =
Steinways goes along the same lines.... too much sloppyness. But I would =
have a hard time understanding they could compare to some of the stuff I =
routinely see that has come off the Petrof lines through the years.=20

  RicB=20