Ideal speaking length of A-0

Brian Trout brian_trout@hotmail.com
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:37:51 -0600

Hi all,

Actually, Ron N. brought this up in the "Re: Soundboard Size Perspective"
thread, but it's a fairly specific question that perhaps Ron N, or Ron O, or
Del F or Roger J... or maybe a few others I'm not acquainted with... might
have a reasoned answer to.

What is the ideal SPEAKING length of A-0, or whatever you choose to call
that lowest string in the scale?

Given my choice, I will normally choose to relocate the bass bridge to
maximize possible bass bridge tail lengths, which actually makes the wound
strings have the SHORTEST speaking length practically possible.  (Usually,
it's not all that big a change in the longest of the bass strings, but that
varies by piano.)

Another tech and I were discussing this and he was of the opinion that it is
desirable to have the longest speaking length possible.

Although I would agree that a longer speaking length is preferred over a
shorter one, I am keenly aware that there must be an adequate length between
the back side of the bridge and the hitch pin to allow freedom of movement.

My question is, if one were able to move that bridge out into the soundboard
as far as you wanted to, where would it cease to be a good thing to shorten
the speaking length any further?  When moving the bridges out into the
soundboard, how far is too far?  At what point would you be harming the
quality of the sound as opposed to improving it?  How much tail length is
enough?  Would there be any relationship between the backscale length and
the speaking length?  (a ratio, perhaps?)

Yeah, I know, that's more than one question, but I'd sure like to have a
better handle on it myself.  Normally, one can't move the low end of the
bass bridge far, but when permitted, I try to do the best I can.

Any thoughts, guys?  I'm listening.

Thanks,

Brian T.