Steinway Bashing........

Sat, 22 Feb 2003 20:35:29 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> This is a characteristic that I rarely see put in proper perspective. I have heard this same claim about Steinways and performance halls. It may be true, I just don't have much performance hall-related experience. If it is true, this may well be a feather-in-the-cap for the performing artist (assuming s/he is in competition with other performers, or is playing in a too-large venue).

Well, I have heard it, and on more then one occasion have I heard side by side comparisions of similiar sized Yamahanamas and Steinways... and tho I prefer the Yamaha up close, I dont have to step too many meters away before the Steinway just plain eats a Yamahanama up alive.

> What percentage of new Steinways reside in living rooms? What has their carrying power have to do with anything? Isn't this then a bit like the rear-deck air-foils on a Honda Civic? Mario Andretti had use for one, but Mrs. Jones going to the grocery store?

I also aggree with this point, and without exception recommend rather a C3 or a Sauter or the like. Whatever it is that makes that particular bearing power the Steinway has... doesnt seem to work well (for me anyways) all closed in in a small living room. I'd go so far as to say even Studios seem to have a harder time getting the room acoustics to fit a Steinway then it does many other
pianos.... but then a good recording engineer can record a  Steinway and the result is unmistakable.... that Steinway sound.

> Terry Farrell

RicB

--
Richard Brekne