Lefthanded tuners??

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 20:53:45 -0600

I'm a lefthanded tuner. When I picked up a tuning wrench the first time,
it was with my left hand, because I planned to try tuning, and I play the
keyboard better with my right hand. I played the violin as a youngster.[
One] of the
hard things of playing the violin is producing good tone. Good tone comes
from
good bow technique.( which I did right handed ) You could place your
fingers
on the neck hard or soft, and at that time it didn't make much difference,
but if
you held the bow too loosely or too tight, the tone wasn't very nice. In
fact, when
I first started to take violin and would practise, everyone in my family ,
except my father,
would vanish. About a year later , when my bow was better, they didn't seem
to mind as much.
I often wonder if my father may have had a hearing problem, you think ? ? (
grin )  Maybe he just
wanted to be in the presence of a virtuoso in the making.    "Good luck".
I tune the low bass
strings whenever I can't get far enough left of the piano , right hand, but
I certainly don't
have much touch. Guess you need years of practise to develope touch. For a
long time,
I didn't realize I was in the minority as a left tuner. Curious what other
guys think. I play golf right.
Played hockey left, because for checking purposes, when you sometimes use
one hand, I was
stronger with my right, and could handle the stick in the extended ,
heavier mode, better. Sooooo,
there may be very good reasons why we take to doing things the way we do.
Apparently, children
were incouraged to write right, even if they were naturally lefthanded, in
by gone days. We now
know that was the wrong thing to do. Ben Hogan , the great golf pro, was a
natural lefthander, but
couldn't find lefthanded clubs, so he played right. It took him a long time
to develope into the great player he was. That may have been the reason,
but it proves that you can overcome even that, if
you try hard enough and practise, practise, practise.!!!!!!!!

Carl / Winnipeg