What is a Boston?

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:20:50 -0800 (PST)

> But you are right on target with S&S NY and their
> marketing! My understanding on the selection of the
> Boston name is a bunch of three-piece suits sitting
> around the walnut conference table analyzing what
> name would sell the most pianos. That was the
> criteria. Boston is what they came up with.
>
> Terry Farrell

Well, and the fact that "Boston" was once a
competitive "school" of piano building with their own
customs. We used the term "Boston piano" years before
Steinway co-opted it for their "bargain" line! It
meant "classy" "refined" "polished" "understated" &
"aristocratic", I guess. ( Ivers & Pond, Chickering,
Mason& Hamlin .....)  New York pianos were "bold" and
"brash" and Chicago pianos were, well, Chicago pianos.
Not always bad, and sometimes quite good (Conover! )
but essentially mass-market, "populist" pianos.
     Thump