What is a Boston? <was Boston and Yamaha opinions wanted>

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:50:18 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_020F_01C2D94B.96924C60
A bedtime story
(Entirely my opinion and personal theory and not necessarily fact)

Once upon a time in a land called New York a great company named =
Steinway was building pianos that were well ahead of their time.  Their =
name was respected throughout all the world, and their designs were =
remarkable.  The Steinway piano revolutionized the industry with great =
innovative ideas, and in fact many of their designs and features were =
copied by other piano builders attempting to keep with Steinway's pace.  =
Then something strange happened in the kingdom.  Something that in =
today's world would be almost unimaginable.

Steinway discovered that with a lot of marketing along with dominance in =
the "Concert Artist" promotional business they could perpetuate their =
product's popularity and success with little attention to actually =
improving on the product itself.  And so it was and life was good.  But =
their competitors elsewhere took a different road.  They began putting =
huge efforts into research and development to try and build an even =
better piano.  Acoustic testing facilities were built, highly skilled =
designers, metallurgists, mechanical, and structural engineers were =
brought in, and the evolution of the piano slowly moved forward.  Later =
the computer was invented and with sophisticated CAD and engineering =
software the piano took huge strides.  More modern materials emerged =
such as improved glues, aluminum action rails, vacuum cast plates, ABS =
components, CNC manufactured parts, and more durable finishes.
=20
Soon Steinway found themselves in a rather awkward position.  As times =
changed the ol' S&S was loosing ground and the factory (speculatively) =
held the worlds record for overhead operating costs, (after all, can you =
think of a more expensive place in the world to build pianos than in New =
York City with union labor and those pesky urban industrial codes??)  =
What's worse the product began falling behind it's own potential when in =
the 1970's CBS decided that managing a piano company could be kind of =
like running a television network.  Fortunately Steinway was rescued by =
new energetic investors and their pianos were restored to their previous =
glory.  But competition in the piano world was fierce.  Many decent =
quality pianos were emerging for less money.  But heck, why upgrade the =
product when you can use innovative marketing experts?  And so the =
Steinway piano with it's 1920's technology marched forth with the =
infamous "best piano in the world", and "all the concert pianist use =
them" strategy.  A rather bazaar move since their sister Hamburg =
division had already modernized their pianos long ago and had no =
resemblance to the New York product.  With a slick modern look, beefy =
legs and wheels, Renner actions, poly finishes, and a beautifully crisp =
sound, one wonders what the heck happened!

So one day the fancy suits in New York sat around a big conference table =
and realize that all the years of over marketing had painted themselves =
into a corner.  Having portrayed themselves as "the perfect piano", how =
can you back out now and modernize your product?  "Hey, how about this", =
says a young gentleman at the end of the table with a slightly crooked =
tie, "why don't we get someone else to build pianos for us using a =
catchy name like uh... 'Boston', ya that's a good one, and then will =
stamp 'Designed by Steinway' on the plate.  And so it was and for the =
first time in decades Steinway could sell a "new" piano in the U.S. =
market.  Of course if it's going to say "designed by Steinway" you have =
to change a few things.  So to do it right they changed the look of the =
plate casting, varied the scale, used different hammers, and took away =
those pesky ABS thingys.  And so it was and a piano without a true =
identity was created. Built by Kawai, tweaked by Steinway, and marketed =
with a name that had no meaning or history but had a catchy ring to it.  =
Of course if it's going to be "designed" by Steinway you have to make it =
a bit more expensive to boost it's legitimacy, (and profitability).  So =
time came to pass and the dealers had a new Steinway product to sell =
that was more competitive and the money was good.

"Wow", said Steinway, "that was a great idea, let's do that again".  =
Thus they did and a far away company called Young Chang began building =
another "designed by Steinway" piano using the fun and catchy name =
"Essex".  Of course the original problem didn't go away.  In New York =
the same decades old antique reproduction Steinway continued to roll off =
the line.  And although still a very nice sounding piano with many =
quality merits... do those tiny Kellogg's fruity pebbles wheels on the =
concert "D" look goofy on stage or what?

My apology to the Steinway company, the very fine people who work for =
them, and the die-hard Steinway fans on the list.  I still think =
Steinway is a great piano although I have much more respect for a fully =
restored true vintage Steinway over the current antique reproduction =
version.

Just a theory, flame if you must but that's what we're here for.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Donald Mannino=20

  Terry,

  I meant what I said; the material _qualities_ are exactly the same, =
with the noted exception that Kawai uses some modern materials like ABS =
action parts where we feel they improve the quality of the piano, while =
Boston sticks to the Steinway story and uses all wood.

------=_NextPart_001_020F_01C2D94B.96924C60
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_020F_01C2D94B.96924C60--

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...