Ancient Baldwin question

PetersRPT@aol.com PetersRPT@aol.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:22:52 EST

Clyde.
I restrung a Baldwin upright a few years ago.  It had an open face pinblock.
In the bass section, up by the tuning pins, it had a pressure bar, and the
strings then rode on top of a steel rod, which lay in a groove on a piece of
wood.  Perhaps this is what she means.   I remember the other end being a
regular setup of metal hitch pins in the plate.   The serial number was
something around 1300.  The Baldwin website has a history section.  It says
that they decided to manufacture pianos in 1890, and made their first piano a
year later.
FWIW, I drive by the old Baldwin factory here on a fairly regular basis.    I
wish I could have been able to see them build pianos there.  It's an office
building now.

Roy Peters
Cincinnati, Ohio