Ancient Baldwin question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:22:51 -0800

Baldwin was established in 1873. I've done an 1875 D.H. Baldwin Upright that
was quite nice when it was done. It had a 3/4 plate. I have seen pianos with
the hitch pins imbedded in a plank. However these were usually on pianos
pre-1850's and usually European/English. Hitch plates have been known to be
absolutely necessary for many years before the inception of Baldwin. So, I
rather suspect your tech-newbie was looking at the bridge, not the hitch pin
area. Just my thoughts on this.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)