Touch Weight

Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:03:09 -0800

Familiarizing yourself with Touch Weight Metrology will help because there
are things to consider in the adding or subtracting of lead, like how much
lead is in there to start with.  Check the PTJ or the list archives as
there are several articles and discussions available.   But in the
meantime, adjust the weight so that (UW + DW)/2 is equal for each note.
The relationship between UW and DW will vary as a function of friction from
the bottom to the top of the keyboard.  That number (referred to as the
Balance Weight (BW)) should range from 36 - 42 for most normal actions.
Your UW 52 DW 30  (BW of 41) puts the action on the slightly heavy side,
but not uncomfortably so.  I usually aim for  BW of 38-39 grams for a
medium weight action.  A BW of 40 - 42 would be appropriate for someone who
wants it a bit on the heavier side.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net