Hard pin setting was( Setting them pins!)

SUSAN P SWEARINGEN ssclabr8@flash.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:31:00 -0600

Hi Benny,

I first started learning to tune with a brand new Yamaha U1 while I was =
making my way through the Randy Potter course.  The pins were (and still =
are) very tight on this particular piano and I always felt I was =
fighting with the tuning lever, especially up in the treble, where =
smaller pin movements are needed.=20

I understand what you are saying about your technique and I think it's =
valid but I was never comfortable with tweaking the pin too much.  As =
long as you are placing the small amount of natural twist in the pin, =
you will be fine, but I never mastered the technique.  Instead, I use an =
impact hammer and easily move the pins above and below the target pitch =
in smaller and smaller increments, finishing with a small upward turn to =
pitch.  This ensures that the non-speaking length is at a slightly =
higher tension than the speaking length and, according to Dean Reyburn, =
makes the string very stable.  I have been using this technique for over =
a year now with very good results.  The impact hammer is absolutely =
great for quick pitch raises and for fine tuning, allows very minute =
changes in the tuning pin, something Ive never been able to achieve with =
a traditional lever. =20

The impact hammer I have has interchangeable weights so for lower-torque =
pins, I simply put on a lighter weight.  In my opinion, it is easier to =
learn how to use an impact hammer than a traditional lever.  However, =
for people who have used a traditional lever for a long period of time, =
most don't seem to care much for the impact hammer.  Of course, I should =
let others on this list speak for themselves.

The impact lever from Shaff is ok but Keith Bowman can make you a nice =
one that works beautifully.  Give it a try.  I bet you will love it!

Corte Swearingen
  ----- Original Message -----=20