OT - snowstorm (verrrrrry over-earnest ...)

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:59:13 -0800

At 04:10 PM 2/17/2003 -0800, you wrote:
>The cold should put the global warming crowd out of business, but don't
>count on it.

Actually, I've heard global warming explained differently: while the trend
over time is for higher temperatures, the weather gets IRRITABLE. Big
floods, hurricanes, droughts, and sudden intemperate storms, even cold
ones. So this monster storm might indeed be related to global warming,
along with the droughts and forest fires of the last few years, not to
mention massive flooding in Guatemala and Venezuela, and elsewhere.

Oregon has 25% of its normal snow pack this year, and Colorado has had only
minimal precipitation since last October, after a very, very dry summer. A
few communities in Colorado were almost down to not having water when
people turned on the taps, even with no outdoor watering allowed. I think
that global warming is here, and is likely to get much worse in our
lifetimes. I don't see the emotional appeal of watching forests turn to
grassland and grassland turn to desert, just so one can say, "I told you so."

[soapbox mode off]

ssssssssssssssnnn