How weather affects pianos

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 21:08:09 -0500

Paul,

Most of the pianos I service that have been stable in previous Februarys are
flat this time around, some severely.  Too cold too long, and it makes a
difference.  If I tune them to A-440, they'll be sharp next February, if we have
a normal winter, which explains why I float the pitch (in case someone wants to
have a go-around on that subject again).  I leave them a little flat, but they
won't be flat when the weather returns to normal.  (They won't be in tune,
either.)

Also, I have gotten requests for *extra* tunings from clients who normally have
their pianos tuned in mid to late summer.  The change in the tuning between a
humid season and an exceedingly cold and therefore dry piano climate becomes
more than they can stand.

Regards,
Clyde